WIETIES, JEFF, a prosperous farmer of Sangamon County, Ill., was born in Hanover, Germany, April 29, 1851, a son of Uffie and Minnie (Utekins) Wieties, both natives of Germany, the former born in Hanover. The father was a farmer in Germany and had served in the German Army. He and his wife came to America with their son Jeff, in 1852, sailing from Bremen and landing in New York, after spending seven weeks on the voyage. One son, John, remained in Germany and came to America at a later date, and the parents brought one son with them. John Wieties worked twelve years in the State House and is now janitor of Odd Fellows Hall in Springfield. The father came direct to Springfield and assisted in building the State House which is now the Court House. He purchased a farm of eighty acres in Cass County, later moved to Adams County, farmed there ten years, then returned to Springfield and worked in the rolling mills until his death in 1886. His widow died in 1892.
Jeff Wieties received his education in the country schools of Cass County, Ill., and pursued his studies in a log building. He spent his time on his father's farm up to the time he was married, after marriage worked sixteen years in the Rolling Mills, then worked eight months at Noblett's laundry as engineer. He was engineer for the street car company which first installed electric cars in Springfield, in 1890, and for the following fifteen years was with that company. He spent two years and eight months at Divernon, Sangamon County, as engineer at the electric light plant. He came to his present farm in March, 1908. He owns twenty acres and rents ninety acres besides. He devotes his land principally to general crops and is successful in his operations.
He is an active member of the Lutheran Church and is interested in the welfare of his community. In politics he is a Republican and is one of the Judges of Election of his district. Fraternally he belongs to the American Home Circle and to Sangamon Lodge No. 6, Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Mr. Wieties was married in Adams County, Ill., March 13, 1872, to Miss Louisa Bruntz, born in that county, New Years Day, 1855. Her parents emigrated to Adams County from Hanover, Germany, located on a farm near Crown Point, Ill., where their last days were spent. Mr. Bruntz worked on the construction of the Wabash Railroad from Clayton to Camp Point. He and his wife had nine children. Nine children were born to Mr. Wieties and his wife, of whom seven survive, namely: Uffie, of Springfield, works for the Illinois Watch Company; Fred, employed by the same company; William, of Granite City, Ill., is agent for the Illinois Traction System; Ella married James Corsican, a machinist in the employ of the Wabash Railroad Company; Clara, wife of William Love, in the employ of the Berry Piano Company, of Springfield; Minnie and Clarence, live at home. There are nine grandchildren in the family. Mr. Wieties is a man of intelligence and ability, social in disposition and popular with his friends.