SALISBURY - The township of Salisbury lies in the northern tier of townships, the second from the west, and is the smallest in the county, comprising less than half of congressional township 17 north, range 6 west. Organized in 1861, this township was first named Sacket, in compliment to one of its prominent citizens, but after some years the name was changed to Salisbury, from the village and post office of that name. It is bounded on the west by Cartwright, south by Gardner, east by Fancy Creek and north by Menard county. The township is abundantly watered by Prairie and Richland creeks and by the Sangamon river. Timber is also plentiful. The village of Salisbury is the local business point for the township and is located about twelve miles northwest from Springfield. It is an old-settled place, having been surveyed and platted as early as 1832.
Population of the township - 589.
The first settlements in what is now Salisbury township were made in 1819 and 1820 by immigrants from the south. Among the early permanent settlers were William Yoakum, Solomon Miller, Marshall Duncan, Mrs. Abigal Coleman, Fielding Harrison, Amos Batterton, William Kirkpatrick, John Davis, Rev. John Antle and others.